Welcome!

Welcome! :-) Whatever brought you here today wasn't an accident, and I'm so glad you stopped by. I'm always glad to have folks drop in my kitchen for a visit and hope you'll feel right at home. We always have an ample supply of fresh lemonade, sweet tea, and a pot of coffee brewing along with a sideboard full of baked treats for you to enJOY while you're here. Relax and take your time as we visit and catch up on the latest news. Don't forget to email and let me know what's going on in your world, as well. And, come back soon!


Sunday, June 24, 2012

Super Simple Summer Salad and a Sandwich

Fresh tomatoes and cucumbers are finally beginning to come in, despite the dry weather. (Don't really want to see our water bill for this month!) Seems like it's been unusually hot and dry for this time of year. In fact, with this heat, salads are perfect for lunch, or even a light dinner when it's just too hot to think about food.  This sweet and sour salad is good on any dinner or lunch menu. I especially like eating it with a grilled pimento cheese sandwich. (More about the sandwich after we make our salad!)

When I think of summer, fresh cucumbers and tomatoes always come to mind, and yes, those tomatoes and cucumbers are fresh from our garden. (I'm so thankful for a hubby who loves to work outside in the yard and garden!) You'll also see that I used a red onion in this, but that came from Kroger! We just don't eat enough onions to justify taking up space in our tiny garden for them. I'd much rather use the space for corn, squash, or okra. Be sure you use a red (or purple) onion to give the salad that nice, extra bite.

Speaking of "bite"... I've seen this salad referred to as "Fire and Ice Salad," but I'm not sure I'd call it that. Most "Fire and Ice" salad recipes really do "bite" because they have jalapenos, bell peppers, celery seed, ceyenne pepper, or a multitude of other ingredients tossed in to stoke the "fire." My salad doesn't bite that much, so I'm sticking with "Super Simple Summer Salad" (Try saying that as quickly as you can five times! :-)

Now that your tongue is all tangled up, let's start gathering ingredients:
You'll need two large (or more if medium or small) tomatoes, two or three medium-sized cucumbers (again, more, if the cucumbers are small), one red or purple onion, and equal amounts of water, white vinegar, and sugar.

(Forgive me for not photographing each and every step of this recipe. Sometimes the brain just doesn't engage when I'm working in the kitchen. I didn't remember to take a photo until the salad was already made!---You know if you ever have a question about a recipe, you can always send me an email.) Here's what you need to do:
Peel and slice cucumbers. Quarter tomatoes, then cut quarters in half again. Slice and dice (as large or small as you desire) the onion. Combine all three in a large bowl. Mix equal parts water, vinegar, and sugar. You might try starting with 1/2 or 3/4 cup of each. This is your dressing mix. Pour it over the vegetables and refrigerate. The sugar may not be completely dissolved at this point, but it's okay. It will dissolve and flavor the veggies while it's chilling in the refrigerator. When you serve the salad, you can add just a dash of salt and pepper to each serving, as desired. I like mine straight out of the refrigerator---no salt or pepper for me. :-)

 As a quick substitute for the "sweet-n-sour" dressing, you might want to use your favorite commercially bottled Italian dressing, if you'd like a more tangy salad. I like to use 1 bottle of Kraft Tuscan Italian Dressing instead of the water, vinegar, and sugar. Just add the dressing, toss, and refrigerate before serving. Yummy!
Don't forget to print (or copy and save to your files) the complete recipe below. And following the salad recipe, check out how to make one of the best Pimento Cheese sandwiches ever!

SUPER SIMPLE SUMMER SALAD

Ingredients:

2 large tomatoes
2 or 3 medium sized cucumbers
1 red (or purple) onion
Equal amounts of: water, white vinegar, and sugar

(OPTIONAL: A dash of salt and pepper on individual servings, as desired.)

Directions:

Peel and slice cucumbers. Quarter tomatoes, then cut quarters in half again. Slice and dice (as large or small as you desire) the onion. Combine all three in a large bowl. Mix equal parts water, vinegar, and sugar. You might try starting with 1/2 or 3/4 cup of each. This is your dressing mix. Pour it over the vegetables and refrigerate. The sugar may not be completely dissolved at this point, but it's okay. It will dissolve and flavor the veggies while it's chilling in the refrigerator.

You can, of course, use your favorite commercially bottled Italian dressing, if you'd like a more tangy salad. For a quick substitute, use 1 bottle of Kraft Tuscan Italian Dressing instead of water, vinegar, and sugar. Just add the dressing, toss, and refrigerate before serving. Yummy!

Ready to get started on that grilled pimento cheese sandwich?
Well, first, let me tell you a few things about pimento cheese ... Like most Southerners, I grew up with pimento cheese spread. Most of my memories of this spread come from a slimy commercially prepared concoction (I won't mention the brand), that totally turned me off to eating pimento cheese when I was a kid. I've also eaten a version of homemade pimento cheese that's smooth---all melted together with gobs of mayonnaise---and I didn't like it either. I want my pimento cheese to be chunky, not slimy, and not chocked full of mayonnaise! It wasn't until our daughter visited from Georgia and introduced me to her favorite brand that I decided I really liked pimento cheese after all.

She purchased a pint of the spread at a Whole Foods Market deli and coaxed me into trying it. Once I took a bite, I knew I had to figure out the recipe, so I could keep it on hand (because the nearest Whole Foods Market is 30 miles away, and I don't want to go there every time I'm craving pimento cheese). So, the recipe you'll get today is one I created by combining three or four other recipes I found online for pimento cheese spread. The first place I searched, of course, was Whole Foods Market. Here's the link to that recipe, if you want to give it a try: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2327 (It's probably "good" but not as good as my version! IMHO!)

Pimento cheese is a versatile spread. This very southern recipe makes a great appetizer on celery or crackers. Also, you can use it to perk up grits and baked potatoes, or as a topping on hamburgers or hot dogs. You can scoop it up with tortilla or corn chips. But today, we'll use it to make the best ever grilled pimento cheese sandwich. Let's get started. Here's what you'll need:
I know this looks like a LOT, but this spread's basic ingredients are readily available everywhere, and it's a cinch to make. What's even better is that in as little as 15 minutes you can go from inspiration to completed comfort food.
Chop onions ...
and roasted bell peppers.
Set aside.
Beat the cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy;
add casserole cheese and mozzarella cheeses, mayonnaise, garlic powder, salt, pepper,
and add diced roasted red peppers, and diced onions--including green tops,
and continue beating until well mixed
Use a spatula to fold in a 16 ounce package of cheddar cheese.
This will thicken the spread somewhat, but keep stirring until the cheese is incorporated evenly throughout the spread.
Cover and chill for at least 1 hour or more for flavors to intensify.
Serve with crackers or as a sandwich on grilled bread. (The grilled pimento cheese sandwich goes great with our Super Simple Summer Salad, too!)
To make a yummy grilled sandwich, load your sandwich bread with your desired amount of pimento cheese (I like about two or three tablespoons of the spread on mine, but you can make it as thin or thick as you wish. This is on Honey Wheat Bread.)
Then, in a small skillet over medium heat, melt a pat or two of butter (more or less to your taste, but enough to coat both sides of your sandwich). (NOTE: I like to use an iron skillet, and I usually make only one sandwich at a time, but I suppose you could use a larger skillet that would accomodate more than one sandwich. )
Once the butter is melted, place your sandwich in the skillet, so the butter coats one side, and immediately flip it to the other side so both sides are covered with butter. When it is browned to your satisfaction, flip the sandwich and allow the remaining side to brown. Since the skillet will be hotter, the second side may not take as long to cook, so check it often.
Turn off the stove, put your sandwich on a plate, and enJOY!!




Now that you have the recipes, try combining food, the great outdoors, and good company on a summer picnic. Pack up your basket, gather your friends, and enJOY.

Don't forget to print the recipes for the salad and cheese spread or copy and paste the recipes to your files and save for the future.

PAT'S PIMENTO CHEESE SPREAD

Ingredients:

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (8 ounce) package finely shredded casserole cheese (cheddar and Monterey Jack mixture)
1 (8 ounce) package coarsely shredded Mozzarella cheese
1 cup real mayonnaise
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper (prefer white pepper, but black pepper is okay to use)
1 (8 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and coarsely diced.
1 bunch (5 or 6 small) green onions, diced with green tops
1 (16 ounce) package coarsely shredded Cheddar cheese (I used mild.) 

Directions:

Beat the cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; add casserole cheese and mozzarella cheeses, mayonnaise, garlic powder, salt, pepper, diced roasted red peppers, and diced onions (with tops), and continue beating until well mixed. Use a spatula to fold in one 16 ounce package of cheddar cheese. This will thicken the spread somewhat, but keep stirring until the cheese is incorporated evenly throughout the spread. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour or more for flavors to intensify. Serve with crackers or as a sandwich on grilled bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment